Sula was commissioned by the Humber Conservancy Board in June 1959 and was stationed at Spurn Sandbank at the mouth of the River Humber until 1985. In 1988 the ship became a temporary home for the Guernsey Yacht Club in the Channel Islands. In 1990, she moved to Conwy, North Wales and later to Milford Haven in South Wales, where the ship served as a historic museum.
In 1997, the ship was sold to Irish tourism investors but was eventually laid up in Waterford, from 2001 to 2007. The ship was rescued in 2007 by Jan and Agnes van der Elsen. She was towed to Sharpness for three years of renovation before mooring at Gloucester Docks as a Therapy Centre in 2010.
In 2020 SULA was purchased by the Brooks Family. Her new legacy began on 1 October with the launch of The Humber Suite, a private luxury guest suite at the bow of the vessel. In 2021, She is now the UK’s only stay-aboard historic lightship.